Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Top 15 Classic Novels

In high school and college I didn't like reading books - especially novels.  I would learn enough about the books to squeak by during exam time, but rarely enjoyed them or saw the point.  That all changed in my mid-20's and I set out on a campaign to read the top novels of all time.

I can be rather obsessive and decided to compile three different "Top 100" lists to see what books they shared in common.  I discovered 25 books that were on all three lists and started there (skipping a few that seemed unbearable like Ulysses by James Joyce). 

Ranking them 1-15 would be nearly impossible but here are 15 of my absolute favorites:

1) Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
-This was this first one I decided to read (because it was one of the shortest) and I quickly realized how awesome novels could be 
Heart of Darkness

2) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
To Kill a Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition

3) As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
As I Lay Dying (Norton Critical Editions)

4) Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
- The first novel to make me laugh out loud while reading 
Catch-22

5) Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck Centennial Edition)

6) Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
Invisible Man

7) 1984 by George Orwell
Nineteen Eighty-Four

8) Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary, One Vol. Edition

9) A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
A Farewell To Arms

10) Call of the Wild by Jack London
The Call of the Wild   [CALL OF THE WILD] [Hardcover]

11) Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Slaughterhouse-Five: A Novel

12) Lord of the Flies by William Golding
"Lord of the Flies" by William Golding (Master Guides)

13) Native Son by Richard Wright
Native Son (Perennial Classics)

14) All Quiet On the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
All Quiet on the Western Front

15) The Road by Cormac McCarthy
- I realize this has not stood the test of time like the others but I have little doubt that it will.  McCarthy is one of my absolute favorite authors - he is brilliant.
The Road (Movie Tie-in Edition 2009) (Vintage International)

These are my top 15 so far .... which novels are on your top list?

2 comments:

  1. Great list! I have not read many classic novels, but of the four that I have read from your list, I would put two in my top list: "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Lord of the Rings". I would also put "A Tale of Two Cities" near the top. It sounds like I'm going to have to give Cormac McCarthy a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's only fair to add that A Farewell to Arms was the first novel to make you cry outloud.....

    You just reminded me of Kurt Vonnegut--I love him.

    Also, maybe you should read some more novels written by women...just to round out your literary experience a little more...might I suggest Wuthering Heights? Seriously, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete