Friday, October 1, 2010

Nonfiction

I like reading a variety of books and have devoured some intriguing nonfiction books over the last year (some old, some new).  I'll share other recent finds from different categories in future blog posts but for now check out these books that will get you thinking:

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
- A captivating book from one of my favorite authors (I'd also recommend Blink, The Tipping Point, and What the Dog Saw).  This title deals with "the story of success" and what makes high-achievers different from other people.  His findings might surprise you and cause you to rethink a few things.
Outliers: The Story of Success

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen & David Oliver Relin
- This true life story gave me a deeper appreciation for the country and people of Pakistan and added to the value I place on education around the world.  This book will inspire you to use the abilities God has given you to make this world a better place.
Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time

Freakonomics by Stephen D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner
- This book along with it's follow up, Super Freakonomics, are very thought provoking and shows how humans are deeply motivated by incentives.  Compelling research & statistics revealed through well-written chapters provide an all-around enjoyable read. 
Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything (P.S.)

Night by Elie Wiesel
- Wow, this is a horrific autobiographical account of the Holocaust.  This Nobel Prize Winner from years ago is astonishing and moved me to tears.  You will likely finish the entire book in one sitting (1-2 hours). It is difficult to process but should prompt us to learn from the past and become active in stopping modern atrocities like the Rwandan genocide and the current situation in Darfur.
Night (Oprah's Book Club)

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog! I have read three out of four of your book recommendations. If you liked Three Cups of Tea I highly recommend Stones for Schools.
    MomCat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading Outliers for the second time right now - I find the chapter on 10,000 hours to be particularly interesting (loved the example of the Beatles!)
    Nice Blog - I will be back!

    ReplyDelete